1. he f________ the doctor's advice and had no further trouble.
2. i got this ticket for f________ from someone who didn't want it.
3. there was silence for a few seconds then all of a s________ the child cried out.
4. the soccer game was ________ (取消) because of the heavy rain.
5. i saw the balloon ________ (升起) straight up into the sky.
6. scientists have made many important ________ (发现).
1. it makes no ________ (different) to me whether the house is large or small.
2. members with young children often found it ________ (possible) to attend evening meetings.
3. she had five days off work due to ________ (ill).
4. would it be ________ (polite) of me to ask exactly where you've been?
5. it's not easy to stop ________ (smoke) cigarettes.
1. tom is not american and jackie isn't american, either.
________ tom ________ jackie ________ american.
2. she brought the picture nearer so that she may see it better.
she brought the picture nearer ________ ________ ________ see it better.
3. the girl is so short that she cannot reach the apple.
the girl is ________ short ________ reach the apple.
4. jessica solved the physics problems without any help.
jessica ________ ________ the physics problems without any help.
pay attention to, in person, take off, blow out, fall over, instead of, bring out, look forward to
1. jim is _____________ spending his vacation lying on the beach and doing nothing.
2. the old lady _____________ in the street and hurt her leg.
3. please _____________ the warnings printed on the sign. they're very important.
4. the seller had _____________ a pile of clothes for him to choose from before he said no.
5. shall we have fish _____________ meat today?
6. if you can't be there _____________, the next best thing is watching it on tv.
7. all the candles were _____________ and it was dark in the room.
8. after getting home, lucy _____________ her coat and sat down.
my art teacher gave 1. ________ (we) all a piece of paper to take home. it was for a drawing competition. the theme (主题) was "where preservation fails, pollution starts". i had two days 2. ________ (do) it and then gave it to my art teacher.
i spent 3. ________ first day planning out my sketch. i wanted to draw a bird 4. ________ (sit) on the beach with plastic around its neck, oil on its open wings, and litter on the shore. then i drew a strong wind blowing smoke coming out of a factory. 5. ________ (final) i drew the sea littered with plastic cups. i worked on the painting after school from 5 to 9 that evening.
the next day i wrapped it in newspaper and handed it in 6. ________ my teacher. everyone was looking at each other's artwork. 7. ________ were many good pieces of art and i was sure i wasn't going to win. i was in my classroom one day when many students came in and said, "congratulations, amy!" i was curious and 8. ________ (ask), "what for?" "for winning the competition." i was the winner from my school. when i found out i had won, i was so 9. ________ (excite). it was the 10. ________ (proud) moment of my life.